Hello.  I've been owned by my six guys (and gal) for up to six years now.
This is the first time I've ever seen this behavior.  Charles recently
started licking what I imagine is urine from the carpet remnants I buy to
line the bottom of their cages (yes, there is a defiant one amongst them).
He licks the rug around the outside of the litter pan.  Immediately I
yanked the rug out and replaced it with a fresh rug.  The next day I
noticed him doing the same thing.  The day after I noticed him eating the
poop deposited next to the litter pan.  What would cause him to suddenly
start doing this?  Noteably, there was a recent change in their diet from 8
in 1 to Totally Ferret.  He shares 2 litter pans with 6 ferrets, which is
changed daily.  There is continuously food and water in their cage, so they
aren't lacking in anything from what I can see.  This is a suddenly new
behavior in a 4 year old ferret.  Also, noteworthy is that I just moved to
a new apartment.  They get free range in their own bedroom.  Anyone who has
experienced this behavior please share?  It's really starting to gross me
out. =-P

*Dooks* to all!  ~ Dee, Mooch, 'Spresso, Breezely Bruin, Charles, Dash &
Vera.
[Posted in FML issue 2858]