[PW],
        I go to school in Rochester and am new to the FML.  A friend of
mine that graduated a year ago works for the Legislature in Albany.  He
came to visit last semester with news that the Legislature had signed
something that would eliminate the need for a ferret permit in New York
State.  However I haven't heard anything from him in a while and at this
point you still need one so I would recommend that you send in the card
you got as soon as possible.
        For ferret owners in NYS, I will try to contact this friend of
mine to see what the current status of the Legislative paper work is.  As
soon as I know anything I will post it.

Scott, Bandit & Abu