Jen from Nova Scotia asks whether ferrets raised for research could be
treated with the same love that would be given by private breeers."  If you
are asking whether a big commercial breeder like MF treats its ferrets more
or less kindly than private breeders, surely the answer is "it depends on
the breeder."  I know nothing about MF, but I have sure seen some private
breeders who never handle their ferrets, and others who are downright
abusive.  One breeder I visited in Australia fed a cageful of 12 ferrets by
throwing in a live chicken every now and then. They all had mangy feet and
thin coats.
    But I too would like to hear from a disinterested person who has been to
Marshall Farms.  Do they employ handlers to "gentle" the ferrets?  Where is
it anyway?  I know there is a fairly big breeder near Detroit
Michigan--that's not MF, is it?  I ask because I may pick up another ferret
next time I visit my home state, and because my sister is interested in
getting a ferret. Any Michiganders--or people from northern Ohio/Indiana--
who can give tips on breeders?  (Ferrets are now legal in Michigan, right?)
[Posted in FML issue 1210]