Yes it's normal for ferrets (at least most of the ones I've seen) to go totally
bonkers after a bath. As for shampoo, I use Johnsons Baby Shampoo. It doessn't
seem to dry out their skin as much and it keeps them smelling good a lot longer
than any of the so-called ferret shampoos (It's a lot cheaper too). You really
shouldn't give ferrets baths more than once every couple weeks at most and
longer if poissible (Mine get one once a month). I've found that for the most
part the slightly musky scent gets to a certain point and then doesn't get any
stronger. It doesn't bother me and certainly not the ferrets.

[Posted in FML issue 0816]