I'd recommend if anyone is considering what to feed to look the subject
up in the archives so they can be well informed on all sides.

Very important information is that not all ferrets will accept the
foods we want to feed and that can be detrimental to them if we don't
monitor carefully, especially when changing what they are imprinted
on. Trying to do what an individual believes is better for their ferret
may have dire consequences, no matter how good the intention is.

Personally, I feed kibble, always have. I let the ferrets eat Beneful
puppy food because they like it, I give them Marshmallow mateys because
they like it, I feed a liquid kibble/AD/supplement recipe morning and
evening, I let them eat from my plate if they want to, that includes
cereal, pasta, pizza, whatever I'm eating that won't cause a possible
blockage or cause them to be sick. I've had hundreds of ferrets since
1985 and the ferrets I have now live longer. Years ago 5-6 was the
average age, now it's 8-9, with several reaching 10 and one reaching
12. I can't say it is what I am feeding because logically it involves
multiple factors including nutrition.

I spend an hour a day making recipe, less time making the other two
recipes, I have to know which of the 22 kibble brands go in which bowl
in which room and which kibbles are to be mixed together to get the
blend that certain ferrets like. Put the wrong kibble in the wrong bowl
and it ends up being shoved out onto the floor, put the wrong kibble in
the wrong room and someone may not eat, put the wrong mix together and
the ferrets won't eat it.

Just because I choose to feed kibble doesn't mean I'm failing
nutritionally for the ferrets that share my home. Feeding type is a
personal choice that should be made by researching all sides and
monitoring our ferrets closely.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org

[Posted in FML 6061]