"Hi mom!  I've missed you."

"I've missed you too.  How have you been?"

"The other ferrets up here treat me well.  They even let me play with
their toys!  But I have a question.  Some ferrets up here didn't have
very good parents.  Their parents didn't care about them like you care
about me.  Was I worth it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Was it worth all the paper towels, the 'accidents', the money, was I
worth the vet visits, the big room you had to give me, all the meals you
had to prepare?  Was I worth all the duck soup you made when I was sick,
worth the medicine I spat out on your face, the puddles in the middle of
the floor, and even the bites?"

"You were worth all that--and more.  You give back something you don't
know you give, something I can't begin to describe to you.  You, my baby,
were worth it.  Let me ask you something.  Was I worth it?  The times I
scruffed you because you bit me, the times I wouldn't let you run away
from home, the nail clippings and vet visits?  Was the duck soup really
that good?"

"Yes, and I'm so glad you're here with me now.  And I am glad that the
other ferrets that didn't get to know what I know are up here dooking and
dancing, enjoying themselves.  They can now know what it's like to be
taken care of.  Thanks, mom."

-Dedicated to all the ferret moms and dads out there.

Krista and her five fuzzy kids:)
Interested in saving the lives of animals?  Visit
http://www.veganoutreach.org/index.html or email me for more info.
[Posted in FML issue 4973]