Lynn, thank you so much for your post about unadoptable ferrets.  I, too,
have often wondered WHY anyone would consider the ferret unadoptable.
There is only one reason I can see.  Some ferrets might experience
increased stress and make them non-moveable.  I did pick up a ferret
that was to go to the shelter and she was so terrified of everything that
I could not bring myself to move her anywhere, so I adopted her.  Giggles
graced our lives for 4 years.

While many ferrets have come through my door, the ones that stay are the
special needs.  I try to foster until the shelter can get them to a
permanent home, but young and healthy do not stay permanently.  I have
had biters, adrenal and deaf guys go through with no problem placing them
in a suitable home.  Now I only take in special needs ferrets.  Presently
my gang is elderly (2 @ 5 1/2; 7, 8) except for Rocky Bobbles.  You may
remember him as the ferret with neurological problems left for shelter
mom Lisa Leidig in late 2003.

I have had three neurologically challenged, several deaf, blind, abused,
biters, etc.  I love those babies.  I agree that special needs placements
require special care and hand-pickin', but they can be found.  And, what
a joy!

renee :)
[Posted in FML issue 4985]