Lisette, thank you for sharing your experience with Cheyenne.  I know it
must very difficult to realize you should have checked his mouth and did
not.  Even harder to admit this oversight to all of us.  Please know I
will never forget your experience, and checking my ferrets mouth will be
on my list of regular things to do.

For all of you that post your experiences with accidents, escapes,
illness, thank you.  I feel your sadness, I hope to always remember.  I
also *overlooked* an obvious late last year.  Our dog Ria had a benign
growth removed from her rectum.  Two weeks later she had spells when she
was in obvious pain, off her food, coughing.  Ex-ray, lung wash, culture
showed nothing.  She was put on a round of antibiotics with little
improvement.  Coughing, low grade fever, occasional obvious pain
continued.  She was seen by 2 vets over 3 weeks.  On the second to the
last visit I casually mentioned her first real symptom was she had *lost*
her bark almost 3 months ago.  The vet said we need another ex-ray, but
the look on his face said what I did not want to hear.  She was kindly
put to sleep a week later.  Had I mentioned the hoarseness earlier,
perhaps I could have spared her some pain.  I don't know.  The vet tried
to console me , explaining this was rare, rapid, and nothing could be
done.  I don't blame this vet, I blame ME for not communicating for my
Ria.  This taught me to make sure I describe ALL symptoms, no matter how
insignifigint they may seem, how long ago they were first noticed, etc.
Perhaps this will help someone like Lisette helped me.

In Touch, Ardith
mailto:[log in to unmask]
[Posted in FML issue 3883]