Hello all,

Am feeling the holiday spirit and want help our fuzzy friends.  Been doing
research on ferrets waiting for adoption at various regular shelters in the
Mass/RI area.  I have no real information on these guys other than where
they are being held.  Anyone interested should contact the shelter
directly.

Animal Rescue League of Boston -  www.arlboston.org

5 ferrets -  Salem branch, 358 Highland Avenue
(978) 744-7910

2 ferrets - E. Brewster branch,  Route 6A
(508) 255-1030

Other branches may have ferrets as well.  Didn't get any more detailed info
because of the distance from my house.  (this from a woman who a couple of
years ago - with long suffering hubby & 2 toddlers - drove to NC to adopt a
5 month old Aust.  Shepherd from Aussie rescue down there - no baby girls
for adoption closer to home.)

MSPCA -  www.mspca.org

Brockton branch, 1300 West Elm Street Extension
(508) 586-2053

Lucky & Goosey - pair (M&F) abandoned outside shelter on 11-24.  Have been
taken off the adoption floor for "re-evaluation" because one (not sure who)
has begun to nip the caretaker.

Note: Pair of girls coming home w/ me on Sat. Surrendered 11-9.

Providence Animal Rescue League  -    www.parl.org
34 Elbow Street
401-421-1399

"WARREN & RIKKI" are sable male & female ferrets surrendered because owner
was allergic.  ID# is O0126.

Note on PARL - I believe they care about ferrets and do their best - but
don't seem to know much about ferrets even though they seem to get quite a
few.  How can I educate them?  Actually, not sure if they'll except info
from me since I sent a cranky email about upper resp. infection that
Zipper came home with - I specifically asked about signs posted about cats.
Was told ferrets couldn't get feline resp. infections.  Not being super
experienced with what fuzzies can catch from other animals, - I accepted
their 'expertise'.  Only rabies vaccine given at shelter - no distemper
even tho they take in lost of strays who may carry the disease.  (this was
worrisome for me & vet when I brought Zip in - couldn't be positive it was
only a resp. infection.  Have an Am. Bulldog w/ multi med. problems & dog
vet opted to not give all his shots pending medical conditions clearing
up).  On the lighter side, thought I was adopting a new daughter and didn't
doublecheck... gave my vet quite a shock - she though I gave her wrong
ferret ... I had a new son!!!.)

Am not trying to slam them - just highlight my experiences with them which
indicate not very knowledgable about ferrets.

Hope some loving mommies & daddies in the area can help these guys
currently in regular shelter system with noisy cats & dogs.

Dawn, Zip, Bootes, & Tritan
[Posted in FML issue 3260]