From:
"Gregory O. Harp" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1992 04:25:35 -0500
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>       I wish I had tips for you on the messy ferret baby thing, but mine
>seems to be the same way.  She plays in her litter even when it's dirty,
>(though I never let it get very dirty -- I use the clumping scoopable kind)
>and food dishes in the corner seem to be no deterrent to her using it as a
>bathroom.  So I'll ask, too -- does anyone know if this will get better?  This
>particular corner I mentioned is in the kitchen, which, as far as I'm
>concerned, rules out putting a litter box there (I refuse!).  I'm really
>stumped on this one.  I've tried her on different kinds of litter, but she
>seems perfectly happy to go in the one in the living room -- it's just the one
>in her cage she'd rather not use (unless she's shut in).  She's only done this
>about a week, but it's really getting on my nerves!  PLEASE any suggestions?!

My youngest ('Noid, as in para-, 13 weeks) still loves to dig in the
litter, clean or not, although fresh litter appears to be more
interesting to her.  My others did the same when they were that age,
too.  Only occasionally do they take an interest in the litter pan now
except for its intended use.  Nybble likes to give fresh litter a
"once-over" at least.  Also, if their towel-hammock is in the washer
and the litter is fresh and clean, Fritter will sleep in the box. (Go
figure...)

One thing I've done is switch from the sand-textured scoopable litter
to the coarser "No-Track" scoopable litter.  This solves the major
worry I had with litter-digging, and that was dust.  When I saw how
much dust stuck to their noses and lips, I knew they were breathing it
in, which is bad news.  There is still some dust in the coarse litter,
but not nearly as much.

As for using food bowls as a deterrent, I wasn't successful in this
venture.  I suppose a bowl that was large enough that they couldn't
simply move it out of the way might work, but that has to be rather
large.  I have had some success simply confining them to the cage for
a few days initially, and then putting them immediately back in the
cage when I catch them using the bathroom where they shouldn't.  While
the cage isn't small (it's quite large, actually) they certainly
prefer the "outside" to it.  After the temporary confinement, they
definitely look upon their freedom as a privilege (I feel like such a
dictator.  ;) ).

BTW, someone was talking about hard vs soft food for a young ferret.
Mine were eating hard food when I got them from the pet store at 6
weeks, and they have ever since.  The one time I offered them some
canned food they ignored it, and yes I mashed it up into bits so they
wouldn't just think it was furniture.  Also, when they have shoved the
food bowl under the water bottle and it has dripped into the food and
made a few pieces soggy, they have ignored those pieces.

So, with the normal "Your mileage may vary" disclaimers, I'd say that
there's no reason to feed a healthy young ferret soft food unless that
is simply what they prefer.  I'm in the group that prefers hard food
for healthy teeth myself.

--Greg