From:
Katie Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1992 16:00:33 -0500
John Rosloot asked about food for ferret kits. We have
always used Science Diet Feline Growth dry.  We considered
changing to Feline Maintenance when Molly turned a year old,
but never did, and then we got Charlie, and felt we needed
to make sure he got Feline Growth, so we delayed switching
once again.  Charlie's just over a year old now.  And
last night we got Pogo, who has always been feed Iams.

Well, last time we bought food, Jeff got Iams adult cat because
they were giving away a keeno storage tin with purchase of 8-lb
bag, & it was cheaper than Science Diet, so . . .
Anyway, right now they're getting a mix of SD Feline Growth,
Iams adult cat & something called Bil-Jac dry that we
got as prizes at Ferret Fun '92 (thanks, Nancy!).

I talked to Sally Heber of AFA about diet while there (we are
hypersensitive about health issues these days with Bandit's
cancer).  She said she would *not* give Feline Growth to
a ferret older than 4 -- well, actually she asked how old
Bandit was, and when I told her 3-1/2, she said she recommend
switching him within 6 months.  I told her we would be getting
a new kit soon, and what about feeding him?  She suggested
giving him supplemental feedings of kitten food in addition
to the cat food he would be getting with the others.  Or,
switching to mixing in ferret food.  We may try that.

At any rate, she said the best thing would be to compare
the different kinds & look for the ones with the highest
protein & the highest fat.  This was to help put some weight
back on Bandit, mind you.

I don't know if this will help you, John, but maybe others
might have more insight on this.

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie & Pogo