From:
Grace Sylvan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1992 16:03:00 -0500
> > Theory Three: Diet may be a factor. Some ferret foods are mostly vegetable
> > and grain based. The ferret is a carnivore and not adaptable to a vegan
 diet.

Is the ferret a carnivore or an omnivore?

[pure carnivore.]

> > ...  Also remember this IMPORTANT
> > warning:  going "natural" does  not  mean  that  foods  are  more
> > balanced,  safer, better preserved, or contain fewer carcinogens.
> > There are naturally occurring fungi which can  invade  foods  and
> > which are dramatically potent carcinogens; others which can cause
> > lung or liver illnesses, and still others which have sent  entire
>
> I was not aware of that, thanks.  I had considered the nutritional
> aspect, and was going to research the foods in that respect.  Hmmm,
> now this causes a delimma.  I really don't like the idea of pumping
> my girls full of chemicals, but if the alternative's worse...
> I'll have to give it some more thought.

How about figuring out what a good diet would be in *fresh* food. A
recipe for wet ferret food that can be made in batches, frozen or
refrigerated, and then fed to them. Then food that is people safe (or
organic, if the person is concerned enough) can be made at home into
food for the furries - to be supplimented perhaps by some dry food
left out in a bowl, or perhaps if the ferts are fed 3 times a day
they'd be fine w/o leaving food out?

                        *Tigger*