From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1992 12:54:12 -0500
Chris, Anonymous please!

Geri asked:

I have
another question - where can I find a ferret in the RI/Eastern MA area to
test-sniff/cuddle/adore? There don't seem to be many pet shops in the area

Well, I don't know about RI, but Ferrets remain illegal in MA despite a few
attempts at the statehouse to get a bill introduced. With the current state of
the state, I don't forsee this bill getting on any adgenda soon.  I know that
ferrets have been legalized in VT recently, so my guess is that the 4 states
that remain illegal are: MA,ME, RI, & CA.  Someone please correct me if I'm
wrong.

I'm sorry but I don't know if you'll get any volunteers within "illegal-land"
to volunteer to meet you. Call it paranoia, but there have been numerous cases
of people having their "savage wild weasels" destroyed because the humane
society found out about them owning a ferret, and despite 46 states having
contrary opinions, the humane societies feel destroying the animal is the only "
humane" thing to do!  :-(   I don't mean to imply that you are part of any
"sting" operation, but it has happened!   I suggest you look for volunteers
in CT or another legal state. (There are numerous pet stores in CT).

-MA Carpet Shark