Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1993 12:52:44 -0500
> Subject: Milk
> Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1992 06:33:45 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask] (Urban F)
>
> >From:        CT Hart <[log in to unmask]>
> >>From:       Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
> >>
> >> Minimal cow's milk/dairy products -- it gives them diarrhea, which
> >> can cause dehydration very quickly in ferrets.  Goats milk is O.K.
> >>
> >     Has anyone tried a lactose-free dairy product?
> >     Does anyone know just what it is about cows milk that is bad?
>
> I guess one answer to that would be "Because it's made to
> be drunk by young bovines". As far as I can determine, milk
> isn't good for any adult mammals, and only a few exceptions
> can drink it at all. In Sweden, about 95% can drink milk, but
> on a world-wide scale, only 5% of humans can stand it. It is
> said that a requirement for that is that you never stop
> drinking it, which presumably goes for the English ferrets
> who are given it daily.

 Yeah, but these little guys are kits, not kids...  :^)
  ...So how do you explain goat's milk as okay?
 The butterfat might be an explanation, but what about skim
 milk or other low/nonfat items?

 I'm just very curious - as it would be wonderful to be able to
 reward my best friend with something he loves, if I could find
 a form that doesn't hurt him.
 (He turns up his nose at goat's milk...)

 Does anybody know?