FERRET-SEARCH June 1995

Ferret Foods, NEW & Meg

Monica Istvan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Jun 1995 11:46:07 -0600

text/plain

Someone mentioned Sensible Choice being the same as Iams with a different
shape.  Working for Iams, I will disagree here.  Sensible Choice is billed
in Calgary as an all natural diet.  Iams all natural diet is their Lamb &
Rice where the fats are preserved with Vitamin E instead of BHA.  I guess
what I am trying to say is that Sensible choice claims to be an "organic"
healthy diet.  Shape too is something that Iams specifically tests with
cats, kittens, dogs and puppies.  I find this important when it comes to
ferrets, which, similar to kittens, have trouble picking up these ball
bearing shaped foods.  The 'Y' or star shape is helpful as they can grab a
corner and chew.  The girls are particularly fastidious about picking up
any crumbs that they drop on the floor also.

NEW FOOD - Hagen has kindly given me Dr.  Louise Bauck's summary paper on
which they base their food formulation.  I have typed the article in,
[giving due credit of course BIG], and anyone interested in Hagen's
food/philosophy on ferret nutrition, is welcome to request a copy from me
directly at: [log in to unmask] I also have their ingredients listing
(%ratios) should anyone want it.

I found the article particularly interesting, and agree with most of the
points she makes.  However, as no confirming research on geriatric ferret
nutrition has reached the marketplace, they advocate high protein, high fat,
low carbohydrate diets for ferrets for the duration of their lives.  My vet
disagrees with this philosophy as she supports the reduced protein diet as
ferrets reach 3 years in age.

Hagen's food is pelletized, so the ferrets don't particularly like chasing
it around, but if I feed it from my hand, they will eat it.  Otherwise, they
have chosen the Iams over the Hagen food, because of taste or shape - I have
no idea.

I requested a sample from my friend working in the Pet foods department and
received a 40lb bag!  I kind of expected something of several ounces - not
quite so huge.  I will be packaging and freezing some to distribute to
owners in Calgary.

MEG, I must extend my sympathies - I too accidentally killed (such an ugly
word) one of my rescued babies years ago.  She was inadvertently squished
behind a box I was pushing against the wall.  I take comfort that Kitty and
Xioe did not suffer, and had what wonderful time with us that they did.  I
still dream (nightmares/daymares?) about it - it doesn't go away, but I hope
to see that beautiful honey/butterscotch baby when I get to the Rainbow
Bridge.
++++
Calgary, AB  Canada
----
The Terrible Two and the Kitty Krew

P.S.  RUDY!!!  I didn't think too many Americans even KNEW where Canada was,
let alone speak/type fluent french!  I think there's a message here about the
US Intelligence planning to take over Canada if/when Quebec seperates.  We in
the west feel protective about Quebec (most of us want them to stay), so
expect a fight. ;)

P.P.S  Stampede is right around the corner - are we looking forward to those
free breakfasts and BBQ's!  Onyx has her dibs on my flapjacks!
[Posted in FML issue 1240]