FERRET-SEARCH June 1995

Guilt, Statistics

Judi Lunn <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Jun 1995 09:34:15 -0400

text/plain

Hi all:  I actually felt and heard my heart breaking when I read about Meg
and Xoie.  I've been thinking about it a lot, and there is so little that can
be said to console Meg.  The first thing I would say is to forgive herself,
because there isn't one of us who hasn't made a mistake.  I can only imagine
the pain Meg is in right now, and I hope she knows that we're all thinking
about her and hoping that her pain subsides before too long.

A week ago Saturday we had all the windows in our house cleaned, inside and
out, and the screens washed as well.  For some reason, I ASSUMED (there's
that word again!) that the workers had locked the screens back into place.
Wrong.  We've had the A/C on, so I didn't really notice that the screens
were just "placed" on the windows and not locked.

I was in the kitchen on Sunday and heard my sister scream "The screen on the
ferret room window is on the ground".  It would appear it had just happened,
because she had just pushed Casey back inside and closed the big window as I
came flying outside.  I took a fast inventory immediately, and my sister
helped me move all the big pieces of furniture.  I found 3 out of 5.  Riley
(my grandson) and Taz (my latest -- the adoptee) were gone.  We scoured the
neighborhood.  I screamed out their names, crying hysterically all the while.
We have a 6 foot stockade fence across the rear property line, and in the
midst of one of my screams, a male voice yelled over, "Are you looking for a
ferret?"  The man runs a tire store just behind us, which is located on a
very busy road.  Taz had just casually walked into his office while the man
was doing paperwork.  After massive hugs and thank yous, Taz joined his 3
brothers in their cage, and we continued the search for Riley.

Now, I know we're not supposed to have favorites.  I have to say I love each
and every one of my guys just the same, but Riley was the first, brought home
by my daughter, his is also the smallest and we almost lost him last year
with his liver problems.  So, there is a VERY soft spot in my heart for him.
I shook the treat container until I thought my wrist would break.  I talked
to neighbors (except the one directly next door to our south, which is a
"summer group rental" and we don't really speak to the owner.  Almost 2 hours
passed.  I returned to the tire store, hoping he and Taz had run in the same
direction, yet fearing that little Riley may have continued on just a few
feet to the busy highway.  I reluctantly searched the road, called my vet,
called the local pet shop, and sat down on the trunk of my car and cried.  I
was in the front yard, my sister was in the back yard.  She came flying out
front, saying that she'd heard someone at the summer rental house say "I
think it's a ferret".  I have to say, these legs never moved so fast!  I
practically broke down the gate to their back yard, where they were gathered
around the pool.  There were a couple of women and several children.  I went
screeching in, yelling "WHERE IS HE"?  One of the mothers proceeded to
explain how she wouldn't let the kids near him, in case he had rabies, etc.,
and I tried to be civil to her, but I just wanted to hold my baby.  They
pointed to a clump of shrubs, and I walked slowly over and shook the treat
container.  I will never forget the little pointy nose and excited eyes,
peeking out from the bushes.  Then Riley casually walked up to me, ready to
be handed a treat.  I guess he didn't understand why his grandma was crying
so hard, but he gave me kisses to make it better.    I feel so fortunate.  If
my sister hadn't noticed the screen when she did, we would have been searched
for 5 instead of 2, and I feel sure that 5 would not have been found.  I also
find it really interesting that they didn't head for any wooded area, but
instead went to "people places" for a visit.  They are both fine, and they
napped for hours once they got home.

So, we all DO make mistakes, and some of them are bigger than others, but we
are human beings, and all we can do is our best and I know in my heart that
Meg was a wonderful mother to Xoie.  Please remember, Meg, that you ARE a
human being and please don't be too hard on yourself.  Xoie may have had a
brief life, but the quality of life is the important thing, and Xoie had
lots of love from you.  Try to concentrate on the good memories.  I wish I
could help you.  And, Katy, you're a terrific, supportive friend.  Best to
you both.

Does anyone have any estimates yet for me re total number of ferrets in US
and total number of ferret owners?  Putting together this information the the
ABC-TV man and it would be helpful.  Thanks.

Judi Lunn and Her Five (Thank God) Babies
[Posted in FML issue 1239]