From:
"Steve Crandall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1987 12:00:00 -0500
It is good to see some fellow carpet shark people out there! A few comments
on the legal status of ferrets...

The book "Ferrets  - A Complete Owner's Manual" by Chuck and Fox Morton
(Barrons   ISBN 0-8120-2976-3) has a brief section on which states allowed

[The above book is by far the best over-all Ferret book we've seen.
HIGHLY recommended.  The previous "best" was Wendy Winsted's
"Ferrets" - TFH (Tropical Fish Hobbyest publisher) I think]

ferrets at the time of publication (1985). California seems to be the
worst state probably due to much bad press from a few anti ferret fanatics.
(the PR person of the San Diego Zoo for example). In the past year some
folks in Calif were trying to recruit me away from NJ - I would always
answer that I couldn't live there as ferrets we're allowed (this usually
produces a pause at the other end of the line). One fellow went so far
as to finding out "underground" vets who will treat illegal exotics in
Santa Cruz, Palo Alto and Berkeley. (a vet who does this apparently risks
his state license). Alaska used to outlaw ferrets (probably for roughing
up the grizzly bears :-)  ), but this was turned around by a very dedicated
ferret person who apparently compiled a list of > 400 scientific references
showing that ferrets are really domestic animals. The case ended up in
court and the judge ruled in favor of ferrets. Since this is noted in
"Ferrets" you may want to get in touch with the authors for info and
the Alaskan's name. They live in Willow Hill, PA 17271 and the phone
number is 717-349-7818.

Someone mentioned nearsightedness. With the exception of one of our ferrets
all seem to be pretty nearsighted. We have a new female kit (Helix) who
seems to be nearly blind, but gets along just fine. Some vets we've talked
with say that many ferrets are blind and the owners never notice - they
have excellent ears and smell which compensate well. We were warned of a
breeder in one of the Carolinas who has been breeding ferrets that have
eye problems.

[Ours seem to have pretty good eyesight, though they haven't been
to an Opthalmologist ;-)  Was introduced to a juvenile female ferret
once that was 100% blind in one eye and severely impaired in the other.
Apparently some sort of infection caught while a couple of weeks old at
the breeder's.  Fortunately for the ferret, the person who had picked
her from the litter before she caught the infection still wanted her -
she was a VERY pretty silver-mitt.  The eye problems didn't seem to
bother her either.]

We have just heard of an organization called the United Ferret Organization.
Has anyone heard about them? It sounds like they either have or will soon
be producing a magazine.

Some good news for those who have been following the plight of the black
footed ferret in Wyoming. Seven of the eight kits born this Summer are
doing just fine as of a few weeks ago. (there were two litters - the first
in captivity). The known world population is now up to 25 and a rather
large effort is underway in Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado to see if other
colonies remain. Winter is the "easy" time to find these guys - so maybe
we'll hear something soon. If the 25 in captivity are the last, it will
be pretty bleak as the genetic diversity is just not there in the
Meeteetse colony. Should you wish to give to the black-footed ferret effort
(or other endangered species) Defenders of Wildlife is a good place. They
have very nice "Ferrets Forever!" t-shirts too. (end of commercial)

                                Steve Crandall
                                ihnp4!mhuxt!evans