FERRET-SEARCH October 2011

2011 Ferret Giving Tree

Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 00:18:38 -0400

text/plain

The question has been raised about the number of ferrets each shelter
will be allowed to post on the Tree this year. As I understand it, each
shelter will be allowed to post up to 20. That is, "qualified" shelters
will be allowed to post up to 20 ferrets this year.

And the other question raised in the post from Friday...the deadline of
November 30th.

I have a question myself - and it's directed at those who might have
issues with either the number of ferrets or the deadline for posting
those ferrets......do you understand the time and effort it takes DAILY
to operate a shelter overwhelmed with ferrets!?! Do you understand that
many, many shelter operators have full time jobs, full time family
lives - or some semblance of a family life, and also attempt to get
some sleep each and every day!?! And, remember there are only 24 hours
in each day and that includes weekends and holidays. Ferret needs do
not take weekends off nor do they take holidays. They require 24-7
care. Some elderly and sick ferrets require lots of one-on-one time
every day. And some of us, me included, do this all by ourselves. Some
shelters are fortunate to have more than one involved in the daily
operation of a shelter, most do not. We do it because we are committed
to these ferrets and pretty much sacrifice our private lives to do
this work, this "labor of love" we affectionately call fuzzies.

Having said all of that, as for myself and my ferrets, I will not be
posting 20 ferrets this year, even though our numbers in shelter today
way way exceed the maximum. 69. That is my choice. There are ferrets
and cages in every room of the lower floor of our home. Their food
bills exceed our food bills. Their vet care exceed our medical care -
but, to be honest, we have very good medical insurance and a
considerable percentage of our medical bills are paid with that
insurance. Unfortunately, we do not have health insurance for 69
ferrets. And that is just the beginning of the cost of caring for
many, many unwanted homeless ferrets.

And our shelter is not alone in this struggle. Chris' shelter, as I
understand it, has over 180 ferrets and climbing daily. Every shelter
mom and dad I communicate with is overwhelmed with ferrets in their
care. Some, sadly, have closed their doors to incoming. No more room.
And, tragically, some shelters have had to close the past two or three
years. Where are those ferrets going to go?

As I said, our shelter will post less than 20 but that is a decision I
made to allow for others to post their 20 ferrets. We are struggling
but we are still open and above water. For now. Our ferrets have high
quality food, treats, wonderful bedding still in very good condition,
and toys clean, safe, and still very fun to play with. But what about
the shelters who have already run out of funds for the fun things for
their ferrets? Treats. Toys. New bedding. They barely find the money
for the food and litter...and continue to scrape the bottom of the
barrel to find the funds for the high cost of vet care, bills do not
get paid on time but do get paid. Some of these ferret shelter
operators are unemployed and its a real battle to stay afloat and not
fold.

Let's cut shelter moms and dads a little slack here! We are not lazy
or procrastinators, how much can you do in 24 hours and keep it up day
after day, week after week, etc etc.?? It's never enough but that is
all we are given to work with. Shelter operators are worn out, broke,
and barely have the time to do the necessary day-to-day routine. Let
alone take on projects, even though the task may be fun and beneficial
for their shelter ferrets. It takes time to take the photos, write
cleaver bios, and all that is involved in putting ferrets on the Tree
each year.

Good grief!!

It is my sincere hope that the ferret community will remember the
shelters and the ferrets in those shelters during the holidays. It is
my hope that each ferret on the Tree will have something wonderful for
the holidays. So what if there are some smaller shelters that may have
a higher percentage of their ferrets on the Tree than other larger
shelters. If you know of a shelter that has a large number of ferrets
in their care, send them a gift of love anyway. Who says all gifts must
come to ferrets from the Tree? Heavens!, the smaller shelters struggle
just as much, if not more, than the larger shelters. The larger
shelters have fund raisers. The smaller shelters generally do not
because there is no time and no one to help with the fund raisers.

As for time to make purchases and send the packages, how about making
general purchases ahead of time, putting them in a box for mailing
ahead of the November 30th deadline....we received many Santa packages
that were not necessarily specific to that ferret. They included toys,
treats, bedding. We try not to be specific on needs and wants for our
Tree ferrets. We try not to ask for anything outside of treats,
bedding, and toys and we are always blessed to receive anything. Some
very kind people have even remembered the worn-out shelter operator
with cookies, candy, or a little nicety.

Look people! Santa packages may be the only fun thing each of these
ferrets will receive for a long time as money is almost non-existent
for shelters these days as adoptions are almost a wish and not a
reality. Little money is available outside of basic care for many of
the shelters still struggling along. For the past two years, most of
the ferrets that were on the giving trees from our shelter have
passed...sadly. One ferret received her Santa gift box and enjoyed
her fun things only a week before quietly crossing the Bridge in her
sleep New Years Eve. I am grateful for her Santa and the fun things
she received and enjoyed before she left us for the Bridge.

These gifts mean soo very much to the ferrets and the shelter moms
and dads. With the bad economy, I think most of us would appreciate
anything received for our shelter ferrets...even if it's late.

[RA]

[Posted in FML 7213]