From:
"Tom Limoncelli" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 1990 10:31:00 -0500
[Response to my probe of Drew]

>I got a piece of mail from [log in to unmask] asking to have me
>forward ferret mailing list items to [log in to unmask], from whence
>they'd be injected into some newsgroups.  NEWSMGR purported to be
>automatic gatewaying software, so I don't know whether anybody would
>see this mail message, so I'm sending it to [log in to unmask]  There was
>no other identifying information in the article.  But I have been able
>to determine that it's Drew University in NJ.

I've changed the software to include my address.  It's a valid
concern.

>Sorry, I need a little more information before I do this, for a number
>of reasons.  One of which is that ferrets are illegal in some states
>(including, last I heard, New Jersey) and I don't like having large
>quantities of unknown people looking at these messages which may lead
>to someone's ferret being confiscated and destroyed. I kid you not.

That was a concern when we created the list.

>Therefore, I need:
>    1) The name and e-mail address of a person responsible for the
>       mailing gateway.

Tom Limoncelli [log in to unmask]

>    2) The name and e-mail address of a person who's actually going
>       to read this stuff (someone *must* have asked for it).

Anne Fetherstein [log in to unmask] requested it.  She is a farret
owner and a rabid animal rights activist.

>    3) An idea of how many people will have access to the ferret
>       newsgroup.  Are they all students and/or faculty at Drew?

Everyone will be able to access it.  Fac, Stu, Admin, Staff.  The
number of people that actually read newsgroups isn't large though.

>    4) A promise that this material will not be further redistributed
>       from Drew without my permission.  (It would probably be granted,
>       but I don't like the idea of uncontrolled proliferation)

No problem.  We don't propagate our mailing lists (too many chances
of a mail-loop or other problems.  Besides, most other mailing lists
(gaynet, the amnesty international list, etc. all have rules against
it too).

[As a point of interest: I do not release the mailing list subscriber
list.  But I do give the names of new members as they appear, and leave
the names of the writers of an article in them, *unless* they specify
"anon" (for those people wanting to mail to the mailing list, if you want
to remain anonymous (eg: you live in a state where ferrets are illegal),
I will ensure that there's no identifying information in what I send out]

>    5) A better address than [log in to unmask]  How about [log in to unmask]
>       (I'm NOT going to upper case these articles before they're sent!)

I'm glad to see that you have a sense of humor!  Yes, bitnet
permits mixed upper and lower case in it's headers *and*
articles.  drew.edu is registered domain but it costs us
more than drew.bitnet.  You can use [log in to unmask] if the
traffic isn't too large, or [log in to unmask] if you would
like to save us money, or [log in to unmask]
if you like domains, but would like to save us money.   Or...
[log in to unmask] if you like Biff!

[0H G0D, N0T THAT!]

-Tom
---
[log in to unmask]     Tom Limoncelli      "Flash!  Flash!  I love you!
[log in to unmask]  +1 201 408 5389        ...but we only have fourteen
[log in to unmask]    [log in to unmask]       hours to save the earth!"
[I used to think Flash Gordon was really silly, then I started rereading
my Lensman series again.  Love 'em!]