From:
"Gary A. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1989 09:51:29 -0500
I have had Gumby over two years. What is the life expectancy for a
male ferret?

[7-12 years....]

Gumby gets around the house very nicely. Occasionally, he gets out
when someone comes or goes and he is easily missed as he sneaks
outside. I don't know why he likes to go out, when I take him out, he
can't wait to get back. Sometimes I will take him for a walk past the
pool to the mailbox (this is a townhouse condo complex) and it is like
dragging him to get him to move (on a leash). The way back is a
different story. He pulls me at a running pace. He pretty much knows
which is my unit and will head for the door.

Gumby has escaped about 10-20 times. Usually, a neighbor will find him
and bring him back. Most of my neighbors know I have a ferret and that
he gets out once in a while. Sometimes he is brought back before I
know he is missing. There is a wall around most of the complex, so I
know he probably won't get too far. Twice he wound up in a neighbor's
house. He climbed in thru their dryer vent. He used to escape my house
that way...biting thru the white plastic vent (I keep him in the
utility room overnites and when I am at work). I replaced the vent
with a metal one but he eventually ate thru that. I finally replaced
it with a PVC pipe.

Once in a while, when he escapes, I will leave the window open and the
vent disconnected and he will find his way back. He once woke me up in
the middle of the nite. Anyhow, I continue to try to keep him from
escaping, but I have been very lucky so far. I guess many people lose
their ferrets this way; maybe more than "natual causes".

WIERD THINGS GUMBY DOES:

Steals and hides sink drain stops. This includes the kitchen drain
stop basket thing and any other drain stop he can get his teeth into
and pulled up. My bathroom stop has been missing for 4 months. He
would even pull it up when there was water in the sink!

Climbing up on counters. He gets on his back and claws the cabinet
door open, flips over and scoots in before it closes behind him. Then,
up to a shelf and into the rear of a drawer. He moves up to the front
of the drawer and then, again on his back, pulls (pushes) the drawer
open and then out to the counter (to check for any handy drain stops).
I had to get kid-cabinet locks to keep him out of my kitchen drawers.

Gumby likes junk food. Especially sweets, licorice, suckers, etc.

  Gary A. Davis
  Racal-Milgo, P.O. Box 407044, Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33340, (305) 476-4393

  {{mailrus,gatech}!uflorida,uunet!daitc!otishq}!novavax!rm1!davis