From:
"Nancy Hartman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 1991 02:55:08 -0400
Brian,

Someone (Fara, I think???) said there is a possibility that Linatone
may cause cancer in ferrets.  She uses Mira Coat (sp?  I haven't been
able to find it around here...) instead.  (Fara, I hope you step in
here.  I know I munged that.  :-( )

Ferretone actually has *MORE* of the fat soluble vitamins than does
Linatone.  I can't believe the dosage that they printed on the label,
2 pumps daily is *MUCH* too much!!!  Sounds to me like someone's trying
to pull a profit at the expense of some helpless animals....
But, there are some ingredients in Ferretone that aren't in Linatone.
At this point there's not a whole lot known about what's best for
ferrets.  The are relatively new to the "pet" scene, so who's to say
which is really better for our little guys.

Personally, right now I'm using Ferretone.  As soon as I can find (and
afford) it, I'll get some Mira Coat and try that.  I give them about
1/3 to 1/2 a pump twice a week.

Fara,

I absolutely *ADORE* the poem in the last WHM!!!  It's a perfect
description of a ferret's routine!!!   And the issue looks
fabulous!!  You guys are doing a great job out there!!  Keep up
the good work.

Cindy,

Thanks for your concern about my sister.  It is very much appreciated!

About your albino ferret.  I would suggest getting a ferret shampoo
made especially for removing the yellow oil stains from white ferret's
coats.  (It's non-bleaching, so you can use it on any light colored
ferret.)

White & Brite Shampoo  $6.99  12 oz
(They also have a really good flea shampoo, if anyone's interested)
FerretStuff
PO Box 65125
Virginia Beach, VA 23464
(804) 479 - 4989

ShoSno Whitener Shampoo  $6.00  12 oz
Ferret Fair
237 S. Lincoln
Westmont, IL  60559

And here's a great ferret cream rinse, I use it on mine each time I
give them a bath:

Ferret Cream Rinse  $3.95  6 oz
FerretWorld
6 Water Street
Box 555
Assonet, MA  02702
(508) 644 - 2728

All three have catalogs you can request.

Another thing to note about discoloration, although it doesn't sound
like this is the case with Polar Bear.  If you are feeding your ferret
anything that has dyes in it, they may come out in the ferret's
coat (very often a problem with "grocery store" cat foods, which we
all know we shouldn't be using anyway, right???  :-) )  So if your
ferret has an unusual reddish color, you may want to try changing
diet.  At our last club meeting there was a family there who had been
feeding their ferrets food like that.  The ferrets all had a rust colored
underfur, and the guard hairs were darker as well.  It was amazing
how dramatic a difference diet can make.  (A little yellowing on an
albino isn't cause for alarm, though.  That's just a "ferret thing",
no need to go changing the diet.)

Don't worry about getting your ferret's head wet.  Actually, the water
probably helps keep the ears clear of wax.  I would avoid getting
shampoo in the ferret's eyes, though.  Even if it is tearless.

I agree with Chris.  No need to be overly gentle.  I just give mine a
quick dry in the towel, then let them race around the bathroom with a
few towels on the floor.  They dry themselves off nicely.  After they
wear themselves out (usually at a slightly damp stage), I just make
sure they have a nice dry place to cuddle up and go to sleep.  If he
likes to sleep burrowed in a towel, it will warm up quickly enough with
his body heat, and he'll be just fine.

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                                   CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                                U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree