From:
"Steve & Suki Crandall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 1989 00:22:52 -0400
We have just received the latest Black-footed Ferret newsletter from the
Wyoming Game and Fish Dept... At the Wyoming installation every female was
bred (26 naturally and 1 artificially). The breedings resulted in 21 litters
with a total of 72 kits. Ten died shortly after birth along with 4 others
to coccidiosis leaving 58 healthy kits. In addition 5 kits were produced
at the National Zoological Parks Research Center in Virginia and 0 at the
Henry Dooling Zoo in Omaha. The Wyoming people are breeding Siberian
Polecats to accept foster babies (several of the real bbf females don't
lactate). Probably the most important kit was born to Annie - a female of
different genetic background than the others - using a polecat as a foster

Work is going on to teach the bbfs about the "real world." (I understand
a National Geographic Special covered this a few weeks back --- it sounded
pretty grim with radio controlled stuffed Badgers..) In addition site
selection is being done for re-introduction in 92 or 93.

If you are interested in the newsletter and/or giving to this cause contact:

        Wyoming Game and Fish Dept
        Cheyenne, WY  82006

Back to "real" ferrets....

Our three guys have been doing very well with a milk supplement. Our vet
told us that the ferret digestive tract is so short that they can develop
malnutrition event on high protein cat food. His recommended giving a bit
of "Unilact" (a replacement bitch's milk supplement) daily. We've been at
it for 3 months now and have noticed improvement in our nearly 5 year old
female Fritter. Frit was developing bad toenails and translucent teeth
along with an "old animal" look and feel. She now looks as good as she did
two years ago and all of them seem to have quite a bit more energy (I don't
know if that is a good thing -- certainly our houseplants, magazines, soap
bars, etc. don't think it is allright). If you are interested in specifics
the product name is "Unilact" by Upjohn. We've only been able to find it
at Veterinarians and it isn't cheap at $10 for 12 oz. We dissolve 1 tbl
in 6 or 7 tbl of cold water and spit it among Hjalmar, Frit and Meltdown.
They love this better than *any* other food we have tried on them and it
doesn't give them "white runs" like milk does.

Does anyone have any good ferret stories these days? Things have been getting
pretty quiet.

Steve and Sukie Crandall
att!mhgsp!evans