From:
"Laurie Mitchell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1990 16:42:12 -0500
Chris,

Since I went to a New Vet on Saturday, I thought I would let everyone
know how it turned out....Maybe there is something of interest to
all you ferret owners...

First all I never knew that Ferrets are prone to Epilepsy..

He claims there is not much you can do for them if they do have an
attack.  If it gets uncontrollable then maybe he can medicate them.
Anyone have this problem??

[I think I've heard of this, but I know of none]

He claims they live from 5 to 7 years....Actually my kids were a little
upset that Patty might not live much more than that.

We talked about diet, since we give her Cat food.  He thought that
that was fine, and if she should get Diarrhea, it was most likely
from a change of diet..Funny he said we could feed her Tender
Vittles...Anyone tried that???  We tried IAMS from the pet shop
and she hated that...

[Try Science Diet Feline Maintenance dry.  We use the canned version
when they're feeling a bit under the weather.  Most of the cat foods
other than IAMs, S/D and the "prescription" ones (eg: C/D) are pretty
much your "econo" brands.  In contrast, S/D cans smell better than
most of the stuff we eat! ;-)  IAMs and S/D cost more than the regular,
but they seem to be worth it - especially when you realize that ferrets
don't eat much...]

Oh Yeah...He did give her a distemper booster, but did claim that
there was no Rabie Vaccine for ferrets yet.  (I thought that was
a good sign of a decent Vet, since I read alot about that from
the mailing list).

[It indicates that he's done his homework on ferrets.  Which is more
than you can say for many.]

He also checked her eyes, cleaned her ears out (luckily no mites, which
are common he said)..Weighed her, clipped her nails, talked to her and
us for about 15 or 20 minutes.  And to top it off he only charged
me $24.00.!!!!

Gee, I think I'll keep him....Laurie

[Getting to know your vet, and relying on him, especially the vets
specializing in exotics, can be quite rewarding.  Both from the point
of view of good pet care, more information, and what I can't describe
very simply, other than to say that he's waived his fees in a number of
cases.]