From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1992 16:47:46 -0400
>Date: Thu Sep  3 01:41:24 EDT 1992
>From: Chris Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: repeater/"emergency services"

> The only reason why I still do this manually is that I'm worried about
>anon postings slipping thru without being "fixed", and you'd lose my
>occasional snarky comments.

Both of which seem pretty important though.  (Well, ok, at least the first
is important :-) )

>For that eventuality, I've set up an alias on my machine called
>"bill-bounce".  Bill can send mail to this to see if my machine
>is still alive.  If it is still alive, he will receive an acknowledgement
>from my machine (you should test this now Bill ;-) within a reasonable
>amount of time (I suggest 24 hours).

Tested around 8 hours ago.  Didn't receive a response.  (Yet).

Tell you what - if while Chris is away you need to post something anonymously,
send it to me and I will post it saying I am doing so for someone who wishes to
post anonymously (and will do my best to strip out your identity, of course).

>..  I find myself trying to support a mailing list, 3 software packages
>(one *huge*), 3 FAQs, a 3 year old, 10 acres, a real job and... And I
>think I'm going to have to shed some of them.

OK - I'll take the 10 acres.

[Nah, ya can't have it.  The 3 year old neither (most of the time ;-)]

>You'd get a bigger audience, and this could spark a real take-off in
>the interest in ferrets.  The only real downside is that you'd be
>subject to the occasional bit of stupidity from Roger David Carasso
>alias Rachel Dafni Christi alias ... and others of the same ilk.

You have to do what you have to do, though I'd be pretty sorry to see the list
turn into a USENET group.  I think it would have a rather different feel.  Of
course, there are advantages too... just giving you my opinion on it.

Bill Gruber
City University of New York Computer Center