From:
"Steve & Suki Crandall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 1989 05:13:33 -0400
We have had reasonable luck with our ferrets and litter boxes using the
praise method. Whenever they hit it and we are watching they get lots of
(somewhat embarasing) praise from us. [this is especially interesting when
we have company] Two of our guys will even jump in even though they are
dry if they think they can get our attention. This doesn't mean that we
are 100% successful. Fritter - our 4.5 yr old female - seems to miss out
of spite. She always manages to make the box in the cage, but will go to
the trouble of getting your attention to soil the rug if she's in an evil
mood.

Our vet is recommending the addition of "bitch's milk supplement" to the
diet of a ferret. The reasoning is that a ferret has such a short intestinal
length that they need a bit of high test stuff if they are to remain
healthy. We've been using it for about 2 months now and have seen marked
improvements in the coats of all three weasels (above and beyond normal
coat changes). If you want to try the stuff it goes by the name of
"Unilact" powder and is made by Upjohn. Your Vet can get it for you (if
anyone knows of any non-vet sources we'd be interested -- it isn't cheap).
We give them about two teaspoons (when mixed with water) per day as a treat.
They like the stuff better than milk and it doesn't cause any digestion
problems.

News from Wyoming.....

At this point there are about 66 new black footed ferret kits from the
breeding program. The goal of this year's breeding was to increase the
genetic diversity as much as possible with ferrets being breed with ferrets
as genetically distant as possible. People seem to understand how to make
these guys breed in captivity very well. At this rate the first re-
introductions will occur in 1991 or 1992.

In addition to the breeding program, there are some rather large rewards
being offered for any confirmed sightings of new populations. No new
colonies have been found. Unfortunately these offers resulted in the need
for the installation of security systems at the breeding locations to keep
bounty hunters from "kitnapping."

Steve Sukie Fritter Hjalmar and Meltdown Crandall
att!mhgsp!evans