Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1992 08:31:05 -0500
I use "r" for return message when I get mail from you.  So, I can get
back to you only as a return to a ferret list issue.

[It looks like inuxy can't handle @ addresses, but it looks like
inuxz can.  Try: inuxz!ferret.ocunix.on.ca!clewis.  If that
doesn't help, try asking your System Administrator.]

While I have this automatic path, I got this information yesterday:

I called the vet whose newsletter said to have ferrets tested for
heartworm.  She said she had attended a seminar in Illinois and
learned there that ferrets can get heartworm.  It only takes a
few microfilaria (sp?  I know the word, but can't find it in the
dictionary) to block a ferret's heart, so it can kill fast.  She
said that the test for heartworm was a blood test but "somewhat
different" from the test done for dogs.  The preventative is
Ivermectin...the same dose as for a very small dog.  Ivermectin
is the once-a-month pill for dogs, so I guess that's the one she
means.  She also said that it's probably not necessary for
ferrets that are indoors all of the time, but if you take your
ferret outside much, you should keep it protected.

Gumby says HI to all the ferrets out there.  She is scheduled to
appear at the Heritage Christian school for a week's engagement
the third week in March.  The grade-school science classes are
studying mammals and Gumby is going to lick their noses and be a
good-will ambassador for all carpet weasels everywhere.  She has
done this before (the science teacher there is a friend) and she
enjoys the attention very much.  The two best kids of the day get
to feed her rice crackers and give her the daily treat of
Nutrical...they really work for the honor.  Gumby, of course,
expects them to feel honored.  The teacher has studied my
printouts of all the ferret lists and understands that they are a
domestic species, etc., so I don't worry about her giving out
false information.  Gumby doesn't care what they say as long as
they play with her.  Part of the play is the plastic fishing-rod
toy I got for her.  It has a furry thing at the end of a string
so I can bounce it around.  The kids enjoy doing that with her
and learn about predators and prey.  They also will learn about
metabolism (let's take turns feeling Gumby's heart...what do you
think Gumby's temperature will be...higher or lower than
ours...etc.).

There is a chance she'll pick up a cold, of course, so it's a bit
of a risk.  But she did this last year and nothing happened, so
I am going to let her do it again.  The school is directly across
the street from my office, so I can be reached immediately if she
gets sick.  Her distemper shots are current.  I think it's good
for ferrets everywhere when real information about them gets
passed on to kids.  I think it's also good for kids who don't
have pets to learn how to be responsible and humane.  Gumby takes
it in stride...the honor is simply her due.

                        Joyce

                        Joyce

Gumby says HI, too.