From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1992 14:45:02 -0500
Anonymous, please, Chris.  You'll see why when you read this.

> The simple fact of the matter is that there are approximately 1000 cases
> of serious or fatal injuries caused per million dogs per year.  The
> same statistic for ferrets is .3 per million.
        . . .
> Is it time to post that article again?]

Yes, I would say so.

[It will be posted in the next issue.]

As an addition to this discussion, in 1990, I got a packet of information
about New Jersey's permit program for "Exotic and Non-Game Animals"
(including ferrets) that, along with the permit application, a copy of
the law, and some miscellaneous stuff about endangered species
(like corn snakes !) and dangerous ones (like caimans), somebody
saw fit to include a press release from the NJ Department of
Health from 1986 recommending that people NOT keep "wild animals"
like ferrets as pets because of the danger of attacks to children(!).

This piece includes a 95th generation photocopied list of "documented"
ferret attacks with I would call a pretty questionable source
list (lots of initials and no indication of who compiled the list &
a hand-written note saying "Does not include Arizona data").

Two years ago, I passed it off as outdated iformation but now
I'm not so sure.  I feel like this should be addressed with the
proper state authorities (i.e. "Why are you distributing this
irresponsible piece of crap, er, disinformation?").  I don't know
if they ARE still distributing it, but since I never applied for a
permit, I am uneasy about calling the state to ask.

The NJ permit system doesn't seem to be widely known about, or
followed.  My vet told me flatly that you did NOT have
to have a permit for a ferret in NJ, that he'd never heard of
such a law, which leads me to believe that his other ferret
clients also are not in compliance with the law.  Feeling timid,
I chose not to enlighten him.

So how does one go about stopping the distribution of this
"information" without getting nailed oneself?