From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1992 08:54:20 -0400
Excerpts from mail: 15-Sep-92 Ferret List Issue 305 by Ferret Mailing
List@ferr
> What I really want to know is how to deal with this in ferrets.  Obviously
> I should have done more, but what?  Should ferrets be force fed when they
> are weak and lack the desire to eat?  Should the vets give some nutritional
> supplement which we can get the ferrets to take?  I really would appreciate

When I got my first ferret, she apparently came home with a case of the
flu. I didn't know what ferrets were supposed to act like, so she got
really sick before I took her to the vets. The only thing I can see that
I did differently was I took her temperature as soon as I suspected she
was sick. It went from 106 to my digital thermometer turning itself off
at 108 within an hour or two. When she started moaning with each breath,
I took her to the vets and her temp was *over* 110 (THEIR digital shut
off at 110). They doused her in water, gave her antibiotic, and advised
all the other stuff you were doing.

Did the vet say anything about temp or antibiotic? It seems that they
get lung infections quickly and (as with everything else in ferrets)
they get worse quickly.

As far as forcing them to eat more, it really sounds to me like your
ferret was eating enough to sustain life. It probably succumbed to an
infection (unless it had something else and it just looked like flu).

I'm really sorry to hear of your ferret's death. It's such a shock to
see that little body *still* :(  Did you consider having the vet do an
autopsy to see why it died?

After my problem with Skittles, I bought injectible (sub-Q) long-acting
pennicillin. I had to use it a couple times within the next year for
fevers and lung problems. By then I had two ferrets. They caught a cold,
I put up the vaporizer, etc. but they started coughing and having
problems breathing. I found their temps a little high (for a ferret
lying still in a cage) and gave them a shot. This stuff was a 48-hour
antibiotic. I had to give Skittles a second shot (she's always seemed a
lot weaker ... I think she was damaged by the high temp when she was a
kit). (in case you're wondering, I gave her the second shot at the end
of the 48-hour period).

About three months after that, they had another problem and I gave them
the antibiotic. This time it only took one dose for each of them. I
haven't had to use it since (about 3 years).

My personal theory is that ferrets younger than a year or maybe 1-1/2
years are more suseptible to serious infections (especially lung) than
an "adult" ferret. I also theorize that since everything happens so
quickly in ferrets, it's a good idea to have some antibiotic around. I'm
sure I managed to stave off some serious problems by giving them
antibiotic early in the illness. I was a bit nervous trying to play
"vet", but I figured that as long as they weren't allergic to the stuff,
it wouldn't hurt them any. (Of course I wouldn't want to give it to them
all the time, or else they'd just develope immune bugs) Like with people
(especially kids) if you catch it early, it goes away faster.

Perhaps what helped me a little was that I've been a mom to human
children for years before I became a mom to a ferret.

Again, I offer my condolances. If you want to discuss how I handle my
ferrets, giving shots, etc. feel free to send e-mail
([log in to unmask]) or call me at 412-268-3694 (work) or 412-481-5927
(home).

--Barb--