From:
Jacquie Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 20:52:49 -0700
I have seen several letters in the past asking about ferrets who scratch a
lot.  Neither of my original two guys scratched much, so it was really a
puzzler when i inherited Turnip and he scratched like crazy!  He scratched
so much that he got bare and/or thin spots in the fur around his neck!  It
seemed to me that bathing him helped keep him from scratching so bad....for
about 24 hours, then it would start up really bad all over again.  So, for
a while, I just bathed him daily and this kept him somewhat in check.

Well, I recently took Turnip to the vet and asked her about the scratching.
After lots of tests, she said she thought it was allergies, possibly to his
food or environment.  I felt I should get a second opinion, so I then took
him to another vet in a larger city who specializes in ferrets and she
said the same thing.....allergies.  She put him on a food called "Limited
Veterinary Diets" (vennison) and said to use Waltham Select Protein feline
as a substitute for A/D.  She also suggested daily bathing with Epi-Soothe
shampoo and rinse with Resichlor.  This was only about 3 weeks ago, so I
don't have any astounding results yet (she said it may take up to 6 weeks
to notice a difference), but thought I would mention it in case someone
else is wondering what might be causing their ferret to scratch so much.
It's a possibility anyway - maybe the information will help someone else's
itchy little one.

I also changed to a laundry detergent for "sensitive skin" with no
additives, change their blankies and vacuum cage more often, and added an
air cleaner in front of the kids' cage.

Is there anyone else out there who has little ones who have allergies?  I
am interested in comparing notes.  Maybe you have suggestions I haven't
tried yet?  I know of a good veterinary allergist that I take my dog to,
but hope to get this under control without that expense, as money is very
tight right now.  Feel free to e-mail me...........thanx!

jacquie & the boys (Loki, Morgan & Turnip)