From:
Mary Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:21:38 -0400
Hi,
I'm new to the list and also new to ferrets and I can't get over how many
ferrets have health problems!  We started with 2 ferrets (male and female
from MF) in July.  The female we took back after 5 days due to her
horrendous biting!  Even knowing what I know now, I still would not keep her
and I deal with nasty dogs for a living!  Well, you noticed that I said we
started with 2?  We have added to our "pack" and now have 6, one female and
5 boys.  They have their own room.  It used to be my plant room, with
dogs/puppies the plants needed their own room, but now the plants are gone
and the ferrets have taken over and I have the most peaceful, enjoyable
start to my day when I let them out of the dog crates in the morning.  Any
of you looking to get ferret cages, check out the dog crates!  For babies,
the bars are too wide and they can get out put usually the wire ones have
been working out super for me (I always have extra ones on hand for
boarders - dogs that is)   The Vari-Kennels are fiberglass and even babies
cannot get out of those.  I also got the "kids" a playhouse for cats.
Can't think of an adult cat that would use it or fit thru the doors but the
ferrets LOVE it!  Omaha Vaccine Company has it for less than anyplace else
I've checked, about $50.  Their # is 1-800-367-4444.

The manager of the pet store where I bought my guys has 4 ferrets and in a 6
month time frame last year she almost lost 3 of them to health problems and
they were under 4 years of age at the time!  I guess that is why we have 6,
I could not face only having one.

My guys love to swim!  Never mind the bath, just get out of the way and let
them in the water!  Am trying to talk a friend into making a "house" for
them to be in outside during the summer (am in New England) with cinder
blocks the first 3 feet so the dogs won't scare them.  Have enjoyed how
everyone has ferret proofed their house or made toys for them.

I have one ferret who I named "Mikey" as in "Mikey Likes It" and he takes
after his name sake!  I make my own dog food and Mikey only ate canned food
when I brought him home.  Well, the smell was bad in the litter box so I
tried him on the dog food with raw meat and he ate it in nothing flat!  Have
gradually switched him over to dry food as I am going away for 5 days and
don't think the babysitter will do all of this for the ferrets and the dogs.
So far, he is the only one to eat any of the dogs's food but they all LOVE
maple vanilla yogurt and we get them to come when called, sit up and roll
over for it.  I am in the process of making an agility course for the
ferrets to see how well they do compared to the rats I did it with.  (Also
do the dogs but on a much larger scale)

I thank everyone for the info, especially the health and nutrition articles.
The books don't tell you enough and you never know when it will come in
handy.  Enjoy those cute faces!  Mary