From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:23:10 -0700
Hello to you all,

Well for the past several weeks we have been watching our first ferret
"Simon", while hes been alone in his cage.  He gets bored, restless, and
seems more tired than he should be, so I made the decision to get another
ferret to keep him company.  While Simon has never acted very aggressive
toward cats, when he saw the new one, he freaked out.  He urinated all
over, and got the shakes.  We threw up our hands, and were not quite sure
what was going on.  I did a little reading, and it just sounded as if the
best thing we could is just let them test each other.  Sooooooo, we added
the little one to Simon's cage.  Sure enough, they began to sniff each
other.  The little one seemed a lot less bothered than Simon, but they
were both in action.

[Now there is something that I should probably add, the new ferret is
about seven weeks and is barely more than a handful, Simon on the other
hand is a pretty big male, with a very wholesome disposition.]

Pretty soon I turned around and the little one had gone to bed in Simon's
sleeping bag.  Simon just stood on the outside, very unsure and unsteady.
We decided to separate them for the night, as the little one had quite
enough excitement for one day.

[Morning, Today]
I decided to put the two back into the cage once more to see what would
happen.  This time, Simon was a little more aggressive and kept biting
the little one around the neck.  Simon would back the little guy into a
corner and bully him around.

At that point, is where I ended this morning interactivity.  Does anyone
have any tips as to what I should be doing?  I am afraid that Simon could
really hurt the little one if he wanted.  Any suggestions would be very
helpful!

Thanks so much,

An owner of ferrets named Chris