From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:57:13 -0000
cathy meade wrote:
>I am thinking of getting my first ferrets, and have heard that the American
>domestic ferret is tamer and friendlier than its British cousins, who were
>originally bred for hunting.  I would want my ferrets purely as pets, not
>as working animals, and I wondered if anyone could tell me if the American
>ferrets ARE more suitable as household animals.

A ferret, is a ferret is a ferret.  There ain't no difference between a
working, show or pet ferret in the UK.  At least, at this moment in time,
there isn't although I have heard some rumblings about some folk writing a
show standard - God help the UK ferret if the rumblings are true!  I use
some of my ferrets for working and believe me they are totally laid back.
You want kisses and your ears washed Kurt will oblige.  I can give him to
toddlers to pet and he's as good as gold.

>If there is a difference, does anyone know if domesticated ferrets of the
>American kind are now being bred in Britain?  My local Ferret Welfare
>Assocation (close to London) doesn't seem to think so, but I wondered if
>American ferret lovers could help.

IMO all ferrets should be bred for health and temperament.  Show standards,
colour breeding can take a back seat.  What's with the domesticated ferrets
bit......... to me all ferrets are domesticated.  They just don't make a
good job of surviving without humans.

You want a pet ferret - just get in touch with you local ferret rescue and
ask 'em to let you know when a suitable ferret comes in.  You could wait
until the breeding season and get a 12 week old kit but then you might have
to teach it not to nip - just as you would a puppy or a kitten.

Don't forget even some American ferrets have been known to nip - so it just
isn't English *hunting* ferrets that will go for your throat.......<g>

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & Editor of The National Ferret Welfare Society.
Web Site: www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm  last update 10 Dec 1999
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill, Deanna Troy, Cameron, Carnath, Button,
Bill & Bobby.