From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:17:14 -0800
I have seen repeatedly, on this forum, people simply discarding and
discrediting everything ALF and/or PETA do.  For the most part, people
have stated that the organizations are "crazy, fanatical, lunatics".

Although I agree that they take things to extremes, which sometimes don't
end up in the best interest of the animal (releasing mink is a prime
example), I would like to know why ALF and/or PETA would "fake" pictures
of a break in.  This is why I would like some logical answers from those
who completely dismiss all of the allegations against Marshall Farms,
think about the following before answering:

1) ALF has no financial interests in breaking into MF
2) ALF participants are putting themselves at risk of jail time, etc...
3) ALF would have no reason (nor would any other group) to organize
   something unless they have seen things that are very upsetting.  It
   takes a tremendous amount of effort to organize this type of activity.
4) ALF is not trying to "recruit" animal enthusiasts - they are an
   "underground" operation as far as I can tell.

There is just nothing to support why ALF does these things besides
the fact that they care about animals and then sometimes take that to
extremes.  Perhaps if Marshall Farms was forthcoming with information and
answers to allegations in writing, there wouldn't be so much secrecy and
even less interest for these groups to go to extremes to reveal the truth.
There simply are no "typical" motivations (money, recruiting, etc...)

Please, someone enlighten me on why a group puts themselves in harms way.

[Moderator's note: Please enlighten in private e-mail to Danielle.  It's
not appropriate to discuss ALF's methods on the FML unless the discussion
is very specific to ferrets.  BIG]