From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:25:43 -0400
I see it time and time again.  An owner of an older ferret comes to the
shelter and dumps the ferret on my floor.  Saying they don't have time for
that ferret any more.

The ferret is sick, they have no cash.  They shake my hand and then dash
out the door.

Taz came from an owner like that.  Advanced adrenal disease.  I took her in
and held her tight and tried everything I could, but today she has given up
the fight.  She had surgery last week and we removed an enlarged adrenal
carcinoma.  She also has hepatitis.

When she was brought here, she was happy and as healthy as one could be
with adrenal disease.  Over the past few weeks, she got sicker and sicker.
We tried Lupron with her and it seemed to work, but when she crashed last
week, we opted for surgery to save her.  I strongly believe older ferrets
do not do well in a shelter or change of home.  Especially when that older
ferret is already sick.  The stress is just too much for them.

I believe if Taz's dad were here, she would be doing a lot better.  She'd
want to live.  But I am just her treat lady who tries to love her as much
as she felt love by her dad.  It's not good enough.

By the time you read this tomorrow, Taz will have crossed the bridge
already.  I just wish her dad was here, to make her feel safe and alright.

The Ferret Aid Society "For the love of our Fuzzy Friends"
http://www.ferretaid.org