Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:38:24 -0800
The original ones (not the one you just bought) shipped with shelves
with two gaps in the front of the shelf. Ferrets were getting toes
caught.

Now, they make the shelves differently. However, it still has a gap as
you can see between the plastic and the front bar. If a ferret decides
to get their toes stuck, they will. Why they made the plastic part
removable, I have no clue, since the whole shelf comes out anyway (and
have you tried to remove the plastic? I did once and it seemed to
almost be at the breaking point!!!)

I just use anyones bedding in it. I also put two ferret nations
together (lengthwise) by removing the bottom side panels and putting
the cages next to each other, then I put in an extra shelf liner
underneath the two bottom trays.

The other bad thing about the cage is that the shelves are noisy when
they sit on them and scratch themselves. It sounds like pounding LOL!

I am currently asking someone on another list who makes shelf covers,
how much it would be for her to make some for me. If she agrees, I will
ask her if I can share the info with the list here. I am afraid of
someone getting toes stuck in the gap.

Of course the best part of Ferret Nations is not trying to contort
yourself into weird shapes to hang hammocks and clean. And that you
can take out the bottom of the cage to clean it.

One bad part is that you have to make absolutely sure all the door
latches "latch" properly. Pull on the doors after closing to make sure
both ends are latched. It can look like it is but then if you pull and
it gives, you have to push it shut more. I have three cages, so six
sets of doors, and a few of them don't shut right until I press on
them slightly. I can see one of the ferrets trying to slink out!!!

I also take an old Midwest ramp and put that on the bottom to the floor,
so that way they can get in and out of the Ferret Nation easily. Seems
like FN should have included that in with the cage. Not everyone wants
their ferrets jumping and climbing in that area, since their legs could
get caught in the bars there if the liner is pushed back slightly. My
ferrets seem to have a hard time jumping down from the liner to the
floor.

I think the ferret nation is a good cage overall. I think that putting
two of them together gives my 8 a good size cage. I left the top levels
separate, so that way in case I need to isolate someone I still have
that ability. They get confused still though, sometimes they don't
realize they can come out of the cage when I only open one pair of
the bottom doors.

Laryssa