From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:06:58 -0500
>I use potty pads as well as litter boxes in the ferret room. A room
>they have to roam when out of there cage. A room with a toy box, sleep
>sacks, tunnels etc. But anyway I use potty pads and change them twice
>a day.

Copied to the FML, too, since ferrets and people there can be helped,
too.

Remember that some ferrets have to be checked for nematode infections
(worms) caught from cats or dogs. Though quite rare in ferrets,
according to Dr. Rosenthal there are times when the vet definitely
needs to see what is appearing in the litter box:
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/critter-experts/vet/ferret-litter-infestation.aspx>

including:
>But what if these are not maggots but are internal parasites, called
>nematodes, of your pet ferrets? Unfortunately, those need to be
>identified and treated by a veterinarian. It is very unusual for
>ferrets to have a nematode infection as compared to dogs and cats that
>can have them frequently. If you have dogs or cats in the house with a
>nematode infection, it is possible that infection could spread to the
>ferrets. Nematode infections are not to be taken lightly. They can
>cause serious disease in ferrets

also:
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets-magazine/ferret-vet-expert/0908-ferrets-and-worms.aspx>

Currently featured at Ferrets Magazine:
canine distemper (with more details on things like levels of Vitamin D
to help prevent or treat CDV in BOTH the FHL and FML Archives, w
locations for those in my sig lines with other useful resources all
should keep handy):

<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets/ferret-health/facts-about-canine-distemper-in-ferrets.aspx>

medication dosages:
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets/ferret-health/unravel-the-mystery-of-ferret-medication-dosages.aspx>

diabetic alert ferret:
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets/ferret-interaction/a-diabetic-alert-ferret-1310.aspx>

We had a ferret who was an alert ferret for another ferret who had
different serious health problems!

more at:
http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets-magazine/default.aspx

Sukie (not a vet)  Ferrets make the world a game.

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.miamiferret.org/
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/