From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:45:52 -0700
>Ok, now they have done it again!  The Ferret Store once again, has found a
>great way to contribute to improving life for ferrets!  I did not view
>that post as an ad, no way!  This one is an ad...BUY YOUR SUPPLIES FROM
>THE FERRET STORE, THEY CARE!

Now on rice boxes...
I have been warning people about using rice boxes for quite some time.  I
am sorry to hear that this has happened and I hope everything turns out for
the best!  Ingesting rice is not the only danger, a grain of rice could get
in the ear canal also, which could cause severe problems.  Please consider
using paper shreds instead or you could use larger items such as kidney
beans (I think are still a danger) but I know someone who has used them for
ten years with no problems.  The other thing to consider is dirt, but only
dirt that is "clean" (no pesticides or fertilizer).  Corn cob is another
hazard that should NOT be used either.  I don't think that this happens
very often but it does happen, and anything that can happen with these
animals, most likely will!  LOL

Please keep us posted on how things turn out and if surgery has to be
performed.  I would think that the rice would soften and be eliminated
through the fecal matter, but I am not an expert on this.  I hope it turns
out to be an easy process, not requiring surgery.  Whatever you do, don't
blame yourself for this!  Many people recommend rice boxes, so how could
you possibly know this could happen?  I respect you for coming forward
with what happened.

Your furkid will be in my thoughts and prayers.