From:
Monica Istvan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 1995 15:12:45 -0600
I would like to extend my regrets for Toon's loss, it's a terrible way to
find out about what heat can do to a little body.  Working for the Humane
Society here in Calgary, we had the power as employees to rescue any animal
in distress, but the trick was to learn what conditions constituted distress.

I believe the AMA (Alberta Motor Association) or the U of Saskatchewan has
the data of internal vehicle temperature extremes.  I'm sure local humane
societies (and perhaps Pam at STAR) may have this data at their fingertips
also.  I believe one of the figures was 150F for the dashboard temp. and some
other astronomical figure for even the floor mat area of the front seat.  (I
don't think the study was limited to spring or summer temperatures - it gets
warm in there in the winter too).

Our Humane education department stresses to all owners in an annual promotion
through television, radio and print media regarding pets in vehicles even
with windows fully rolled down on a vehicle parked in the shade - even for a
minute or two!  In comparison, I see people leave their human children in
similar situations without even thinking about it! :-(

This is a tragic reminder to us all about how much we love our kids, but how
forgetful we can be.

Please give your fuzzies an extra hug today - I wasn't sure it was them or me
who needed it more.