From:
Gary Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 23:02:28 -0700
From my experience over the last year with a young biter and advice from the
FML on several occasions I would like to offer the following advice: Number
one, don't give up!  Someone said that at age one year our Pogo would
probably mellow.  Within a few months of a year he did.  As for gloves, I
think they are useful in basic handling, if necessary.  The problem is that
using protection allows the ferret to continue biting, rather than
discouraging it.  The fundamental principle of training not to bite is to
get across the concept that human flesh is not fair game.  I taught Pogo not
to bite very quickly by not playing with him with my hands, by flicking my
hand toward him when he lunged at me (thereby bumping his nose before he was
prepared to bite--jerking away only encourages more attacks), and ceasing
play if he did draw blood.  Yelling in pain might also have helped--maybe it
hurt his ears.  When he gets under a blanket or something he still feels it
is ok to bite as hard as he wants--too hard!

I think that in order to prevent tooth/flesh contact chosing something other
than hands as play objects is advisable.  Our ferrets love to play in sweat
pants, jackets and towels and have balls and a pair of tennis shoes as toys.
But when I handle Pogo we both know I am not playing; consequently I can
pick him up, stroke or scruff without him thinking I am initiating a game.
Feeding him treats in my palm taught me not to cup my hand (he included a
fold of flesh in a bit of food) and showed him how valuable my intact digits
can be to him.

The other ferret can be played with by hand and will nip, but not do damage.

The problem with Pogo which concerned me most were several attacks in which
he intended to inflict damage, and succeeded.  We never truly identified the
cause, but he has not repeated it for about six months.  I am sure you will
get lots of other good advice to pass along, also.

        Gary Robertson