From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 09:56:41 -0500
Debbie:
Holding by the legs and swinging is very basic for any small animal with an
obstruction or for aspiration (fluid in the lungs).  The gravity can help
dislodge the obstruction or remove the fluid.  It's one of the first things
to do when this happens.  I normally start by turning the little one upside
down, supported by my hand and arm, and gently pat its back.  If this
doesn't clear the problem, I hold it by the back legs, still supported, and
GENTLY swing.  I have used this technique on baby wildlife numerous times
(they are famous for aspirating).  It is important that you don't hang them
unsupported.  Use your other hand to support the body.  You don't want to
cause injuries by slinging them around unsupported.  As for sticking your
finger in the mouth to dislodge something they're choking on, I don't
recommend it.  Use something instead of your finger, such as a 1cc syringe
or tweezers.  Just be sure you don't push the obstruction further into
them.

I have used the swinging technique on Champ who choked on a piece of
kibble.  I have used it on baby wildlife who have aspirated on formula,
continually wiping the nose so they don't "snork" the formula back in.
Wiping the nose also causes them to sneeze which helps to bring the fluid
out.  I have removed a piece of grape from a little squirrel's throat using
a 1cc syringe.  That's all I had at the moment and it worked.  I have also
used a very, very gentle Heimlich maneuver to dislodge an obstruction,
followed by upside-down swinging.  The important rule to all of this is
to do everything gently.

Katharine