Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:34:12 -0500
You have just mentioned the #1 reason investigators lie to ude ferrets
in behavioral research - they learn fast.

Now, let me mention the DANGER. Shakespeare KNOWS this cage better than
you. Shakespeare is more DETERMINED than you. Shakespeare will continue
to go BACK to the same spot even if YOU think it has been
"ferret-proofed." (See Bob C's earlier post about HIS knew ferret.

Therein lies the danger. Shakespeare will keep on doing what he has
always done - go back to that spot. Even if YOU think it is now fixed
and ferret-proof, he will keep trying what has worked before. (Did I
say that TWICE? Yup!) Now that it is smaller, he will not be as
successful as fast, and he may try to pull his head back in. This will
fail because the shape of the skull will cause it to go only one way.
He will either break his neck by pulling too hard OR hang himself and
suffocate. The trauma of struggle could cause his throat to swell,
shutting off his air supply.

I personally know of people who have had this happen. Infact, it is the
reason why I, when faced with a ferret like Shakespeare, decided to
leave that cage door open when I was not home and ferret-proofed a
bedroom just for them to have free roam. It is Christmas - you do not
want to end up feeling guilty about losing a ferret who did not have to
die. I beg you to get a new cage for Shakespeare or allow him freeroam
of a SAFE, ferret proof room.

Merry Christmas! Oh, and enjoy Shakespeare. Like Bob said, there is a
side of me that jjust LOVES seeing them outsmart me - even if I find my
stuff decorated with ferret poop! (It helps me prioritize - "time to
throw THAT away!").

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the