From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 21:15:52 -0700
To Sharon Burbine:

>Listlessness, stops eating, loose stools, this each time lasts several days.
>His vet has been treating him with amoxicillian (sp).  This last time, he
>seemed to have more of an intestinal bug, he vomited.  Owner said he sounded
>like he had a furball.  Also, his skin turned bright pink, she noticed it
>around the ears, nose and paws.  Skin was hot to the touch and lasted 24
>hours.

     Whenever I see vague symptoms like this, the first two things that I
think of are gastric Helicobacter and foreign body.  Vomiting and diarrhea
can be seen with either one.  The bright pink skin can be seen whenever a
ferret has a fever, and is a bit more suggestive of a foreign body than
Helicobacter.  I would probably run a CBC, blood panel, and a barium series
to try and sort this one out.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR