From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:02:29 -0500
Hi everyone!

I live on the Chesapeake Bay, and all of my ferrets (including the rescues)
go ferret digging in the sands of the beach, and some even enjoy swimming in
the water!  There are some preparations beforehand: I take a bottle of cool
tap water, water bowl, some towels, a ferret carrier, leashes for each
ferret, a blue ice cooler or frozen water bottle for temp control, plastic
bags & a scooper for poo removal, and some food (depending on how long we
will be there).  We have been taking ferrets down to play for 6 years with
no problems at all.  We also only take our ferrets to the beach at dusk or
before the sun has been up long so that the sand is not too hot, and the
temps are generally in the 70s or low 80s.  The ferrets dig in the packed
sand and have a ball!  They dig moats, and caves, and jump and dook with
each other (all on leashes).  Its a lot of fun for them, and is a great way
to spread ferret information and education about their temperaments and
behavior.

I live in the Tidewater area, which covers Va Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake,
Portsmouth, Hampton & Newport News.  I know of no regulations against
ferrets in these areas.  It is highly recommended to have rabies & distemper
vaccinations up to date, and the records of such on hand while you vacation
with the fuzzies.  I believe that in Northern VA there are counties where
ferrets are not allowed, but I am not sure which ones.  I would also have
her call ahead and make sure that the fuzzies are allowed in the hotel they
choose.  I know some in my area allow pets, but not ferrets.  I hope they
enjoy their stay!

Lisa