From:
Angela M Preimesberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 06:49:32 PST
Here's a little helpful advice on getting ferrets to switch brand of
foods...

Using just his/her old food soak with water overnight in refrigerator
(should be soft by morning)

Warm soft food until lukewarm (Just a few tablespoons full)

Feed to ferret.  Most ferrets will eat it since it tastes the same and
smells the same, but you might have to "introduce" the ferret to the wet
food.

Once you get the ferret eating their food like that really good (about a
week), start adding in the new version little by little (soaking overnight
of course!) until the food is mostly new food.

Switch back to dry food with an occasional "treat" of wet food until the
ferret is comfortable with the new food.

Another version of this is to mix in a favorite ferret "goody" with the wet
food - like chicken baby food, tad of ferretone, duck soup, etc.

This is the way I have introduced many new brands of food to my crew of
five.  It's easier on the ferrets (and their tummies).

Angela