From:
Laurie LaFave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 08:50:24 EST
Angie,

I have a 3 1/2 mf female albino ferret that was diagnosed with stress
induced diabetes in November.  At her highest, Chaos glucose was 680.  I
went on the fml to see if anyone else had a ferret like this.  Out of
everyone, only Alicia, from Ferretwise in NH knew of another person with a
diabetic ferret, who had the sugar under control.  She got me in contact
with the other woman, who gave me the name and number of her vet.  My vet
then called hers, and got all the info on treatment.  They are using a pork
based insulin, but I do not know what it is being diluted with.  Pork based
insulin is pretty rare around here in FL, so my vet had to order it from a
company in NY.  While we were waiting for the insulin to arrive, Chaos'
sugar went back to normal.  So, we now have all the ingredients, but Chaos
does not need them.  :) My vet is going to keep this on hand, just in case
her sugar goes sky high again.  Just for your information, I was giving
Chaos 11 units of human insulin twice a day at her highest dosage, which is
more than my father takes, he is an 180 lb.  man who takes 10 units once a
day!  Must run in the family!

By the way, I would be careful what you are feeding Tayna.  You should not
be giving her any kind of sugar at all, which includes anything ending in
"ose".  You will have to start reading the ingredients of everything.  You
would be surprised how many ferret treats made commercially have sugar in
them.

I am also going to email you privately with the name and phone number of
that vet in NH, since I don't have his permission to publish it here, and
I think it is very important that your vet calls him first thing Monday
morning.

Laurie LaFave