From:
Sue Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 10:09:59 EST
Well, my Dante and my Nala are both accomplished jumpers, and Dante and
extremely accomplished climber.  Toby and Templeton couldn't be bothered,
I think they like the idea of their natural territory (the floor).  Never
mind that Templeton is about 3 1/2 pounds (he's lost about a pound and a
half since I rescued him last year and Yes, he's named for the fat rat in
Charlotte's Web-thanks Cheryl!  LOL) and can't hoist his fat butt up onto
the couch quite yet, but he's close.  I imagine he could be a
jumper/flyer like Dante is.

Here's a cute story for you.  When Dante was a kit, up till he was about
9 or 10 months old, he had NO concept of what an edge was.  You know,
edge of the couch, edge of the chair, edge of the coffee table.  He just
could not concieve the notion that things ended.  He'd climb on the couch
no problem, be running along and playing on it and the cushions, and keep
on walking not realizing that the end of the couch had come, and THUMP,
onto the floor he'd go.  But, he'd get right back up and do it again.  It
was funny as hell!  He learned finally after a couple of months of doing
that.  But, I suppose (Dante was my only pet store purchase, all of my
other guys have been rescues or adopted) that when you live your life in
one of those teeny round plexiglass containters you wouldn't have to
worry about an edge.  And, his concept of edges wasn't just the couch...
it was all the furniture and sometimes his cage.

I have had more friends comment to me that ferret proofing is worse than
child proofing!  LOL

Sue
and the fab four
Dante, Toby, Templeton and Nala