From:
paul j ziady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 16:59:53 -0400
        Just received my response from HSUS, at the moment I am fuming.
Supposedly, according to the letter,"we are special individuals", However,
reading between the lines, HSUS would like to see us become criminals.  Lets
remember Rachel Lamb's quote, that she supports the ferret ban in
california, and urges other states to follow suit.
        The exerpt from the letter that I most appreciated was,"...the HSUS
currently  does not anticipate actively campaigning for the repeal of state
laws that legalize ferret ownership as companion animals." The fact is,
Ferrets are legal as companion animals in all but two states.  I therefore
think it would be wiser to focus on education, rather than continuing a ban
that  focuses on a small segment of the nation.
        We are all aware that there are many uneducated pet owners out
there, Being an animal lover all of my life, I can recount numerous stories
in which pets lead a less than ideal life because of poor care and treatment
from thier owners, however I do not see this as a reason to punish the many
educated and responsible pet owners out there.
        I know I asked before, but have yet to get a response.  Does anyone
know if HSUS receives any federal monies, and if so, would it do any good to
write to my U.S. Senator/Representative?