From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 00:27:54 -0500
In Digest 35: 2 posts by Karen Purcell DVM on coccidiosis and another on
the typical cause of black and tarry stools:

 Subject: Re: Coccidiosis  (was Poop chart)

>>How should one know the difference between black tarry feces due to
>>blood digestion and and the similarly appearing feces due to
>>coccidiosis?

Coccidiosis causes pretty straight forward diarrhea, I have not seen black
tarry stools with a case diagnosed solely with coccidiosis, and never in a
ferret.  I'd worry about gastric ulcers.

>Is coccidiosis prevelant in ferrets?  I know it can be a concern in
>young kittens and puppies and in immunocompromised adult cats and
>dogs.  It can be a nightmare in birds, but I wasn't aware that it was
>common in ferts.  Is it the same as the dog/cat scenario, kits with no
>exposure picking it up from a mother who's shedding it or the
>immunocompromised fert picking it up from a healthy cagemate who's
>shedding it?  Or does it hit strong, healthy adults?

Coccidiosis is generally spread due to poor sanitation at the
breeder/distributer/household.  It is picked up from the environment, and
is generally more common in young or health compromised animals.

>Can one of the vets tell us how often you are seeing it?

Frequently in dogs and cats, seldom (maybe once or twice a year) in
ferrets, and those had been outdoors.

Hope this helps,
-Dr. Karen

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail is provided for general informational purposes only.  It is in
no way intended as a replacement for a consultation with a qualified
licensed veterinarian.  If you are concerned about your pet's health, you
should seek the advice of your regular veterinarian as soon as possible.

>Can you  (anybody) find out why black tarry feces is most always a
>precourser to ferret death?

Sorry for the mix up, I already responded to your first two questions.
Actually, I need to know what you want answered here - do ferrets with
black tarry stool always die (from it/from the cause of it) - my answer
is No OR Do all ferrets that die have black tarry stool at the end - but
again, my answer is NO.  The only cases of death with black tarry stools
(where I was able to necropsy) had gastric ulcers, or were under treatment
for gastric ulcers.