From:
Ferrets Unlimited Rescue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 20:30:54 -0500
Ferrets Unlimited Rescue Services
P. O. Box 44012
Cleveland, OH 44144
www.ferretsunlimited.org

December, 2009

Dear Friends of Ferrets Unlimited Rescue Services:

As 2009 draws to a close and FURS approaches its first 'official'
anniversary on January 1, 2010, we wanted to take this opportunity to
thank you for your support and reflect briefly upon our first year.
And, what an incredible year it has been!

On January 1 of this year, after receiving our 501(c)(3) qualification
letter in November of 2008, we began formally operating as a
foster-home-based ferret rescue organization and successor organization
to Jean Caputo Lee's Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter (FUFS). As you
can imagine, there were a lot of details and logistics to be worked
out, and the better part of our first year has been spent working on
this. We're still learning, but we're getting there.

We were prepared for a lot of what we encountered along the way, but
certainly not everything!

While in the middle of getting our act together, we were confronted
with what every animal rescue organization dreads and hopes never
occurs: a multiple-animal rescue. Fortunately, it wasn't huge -- 14
ferrets -- but the ferrets (and we!) didn't make that distinction,
and it still put incredible demands on our volunteer Board -- and
especially our Intake Coordinator, Crystal Walko (special kudos to
Crystal -- she is awesome!) -- to get these ferrets removed, cared
for, and situated. Because we're still a very young organization and
haven't gotten our volunteer resources in line, we had to scramble.
But, we did the best we could, and the ferrets that were taken from
this home made it to a safe haven.

On the heels of the above rescue, we had a near miss with a reported
hoarder situation (even more ferrets!) in Alliance, Ohio! We worked
closely with the Stark County Humane Society and the animal control
folks in the City of Alliance to determine whether intervention was
needed. We're still not entirely convinced it wasn't, but these two
organizations stepped in, investigated, and reported back to us that
the situation was under control. In this instance, we needed to rely
on their information, and we hope/trust that the ferrets involved are
okay.

Our foster home network is evolving and growing, which will enable us
to serve more of (and hopefully all) surrendered and abandoned ferrets
that come to us. We have also launched a sponsorship program for
supporters who are unable to adopt, but who still want to support one
or more of our kids. We have maintained very positive relationships
with the humane societies, animal control departments, and charitable
organizations that Jean Caputo-Lee had established under Ferrets
Unlimited Ferret Shelter (FUFS) and have made new personal and
organizational friends of our own! We traveled to the annual Heart of
Ohio Ferret Association's Ferret Buckeye Bash in late August. We have
received some great recognition for our work, including the wonderful
article by Karen Uthe Semancik that ran in November 29's Elyria
Chronicle Telegram.

We were incredibly pleased with the number of ferrets we were able
to place into foster and forever homes during our first year. The
individuals and families who have taken in these ferrets are wonderful,
and we couldn't be more pleased with the great folks who have stepped
up to welcome our kids into their homes, hearts, and lives. Currently,
we have about 33 'kids' in our care!

Here are our ÔnumbersÕ for 2009:
60 surrenders
40 adoptions
18 passings  :-(
12 strays
17 special needs (age, chronic illness, and/or behavioral challenges)

Sadly, we had our share of losses, as well -- kids that were older
and/or ill, and some real heartbreakers that were seemingly neither,
but who either made it to us too late or encountered unexpected health
conditions that they just couldn't overcome, despite our best efforts
and those of our wonderful vet, Dr. Frank Krupka from Avon Lake Animal
Clinic. Several of us have confided to one another the deep sense of
sadness we feel when one of our kids passes away while in foster care,
to the effect that they never got to their forever homes. But, upon
reflection, I don't believe that these ferrets ever made that
distinction. It doesn't matter to a ferret whose love they receive, and
the words "permanent" and "foster" are meaningless to them. Ferrets
give love unconditionally to whomever will love them back, and --
amazingly -- even appear to forgive those who don't (how's that for
incredible?), because that is their nature.

We should take a lesson from these infinitely-wise companion animals
during this holiday season and throughout the years to come.

See the enclosed sheet [not on FML] for some special stories we want
to share with you. When we become frustrated (as we sometimes do) and
reflect upon why we do what we do, ferrets like those you will read
about provide all the reasons we need to keep on keeping on. Our work
is often fun and rewarding, but it's also incredibly challenging and
sometimes downright exhausting, both physically and emotionally. We
can't do what we do without wonderful people like you backing us up.
We hope that as we grow and mature as an organization, you will help
us by volunteering your time and talents and becoming an active part
of what we do. The larger and more effective our network, the more
ferrets we can help.

Fundraising is a challenging, but very necessary (you very quickly
become a realist when you are a non-profit!), element of continuing
our work, and charitable organizations everywhere are being tested in
these difficult economic times. As is to be expected, the bulk of our
expenses are veterinary in nature.

Please help us continue to help the fur babies that come to us!
Donations of food, bedding, and other needed supplies are always
welcome. We also accept donations via PayPal. Donations for veterinary
care can be made directly to Avon Lake Animal Hospital, 124 Miller
Road, Avon Lake, Ohio 44012 (please request that your donation be
applied to the account of Ferrets Unlimited Rescue Services (FURS)).

If you live in the northeast Ohio area, and would like to join our
foster home network, we would love to hear from you. If you are unable
to foster or adopt, why not consider sponsoring one of our kids? Visit
our website, www.ferretsunlimited.org, for details.

With your continued help and support, we have every confidence in our
ability to continue to rescue, rehabilitate, and place the kids that
come to us into loving, caring, and truly forever homes.

So, on behalf of FURS, I would like to take this opportunity to thank
each and every one of you for your support and encouragement. The FURS
Board, volunteers, and fur kids wish you a holiday season filled with
joy, hope, love, health, good cheer -- and ferrets!!!!

Deb Daugherty Benson
President
Ferrets Unlimited Rescue Services