From:
jodi corley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:17:21 -0900
hello everyone,
undoubtably i am putting my neck in a noose to post this on the fml, but i
have to get this out after reading so many posts that have been brushing,
but not quite nailing, the issue of whether having ferrets as a sellable
item is right or wrong.  i will never ever state what i think is right for
everyone, because that is not for me to even fathom, but i will state what
i feel as an individual.  ferrets.  my ferrets have gotten me through
alot.  they have been there for me when another person would never ever
do.  the honesty of these creatures is downright fascinating.  anyways,
when i think about when i bought mister ferret from a petstore some years
ago, i am appaled to be a participant in such a digusting perverse
process.  these creatures are at the whim of the consumer!  i could of
been anyone, maybe someone who didnt like ferrets afterwards, maybe
someone who decided after buying the sweetie that he or she needed to
be given away, or at worse, disposed of.  if you buy something from a
yardsale, you can throw it out later if you dont really like it as much as
from the getgo.  im just saying that animals do not deserve to be an item
at the store whose life hangs in the whim of supply and demand.  ferrets
are not cans of soup or pairs of shoes, they are feeling breathing loving
and highly expressive beings.  im sure that if any one of you had to give
your babies up due to financial hardship or some other unavoidable crisis
that you would really hardcore screen any potential foster home to ensure
that your sweetie would live out a happy attention and affection full
life.  no pet store cares what the buyer does with the animal!!  no ferret
mill cares where the money is coming from!!  as long as their goal is
profit, they only care about money!!!  i am not knocking private breeders
who monitor and screen where their babies go.  i know all the shelters on
this list ensure that the babies are getting a good home.  i salute the
dedication of so many people on this list making the shelters possibe.
but, until ferrets are not sold at indiscrimating petstores and are
produced by organizations that are doing it as a business not as a labor
of love, shelters will always be a necessity as a dumping ground for
idiot wasting consumers who dont give a [log in to unmask]

thank you everyone, for your time.
jodi corley